About Me

Tucson, AZ, United States
Fifteen years old and aspiring molecular gastronomist, soon to be sophomore, and soccer player.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Agar-Agar and Olive Oil

Well now that I'm back from Seattle, I don't much to talk about. Although, I was watching cooking channel yesterday and feeling adventurous (dangerous combination) so I decided to make a tuile "bowl" filled with honey chocolate sauce and topped with balsamic vinegar pearls. The idea was good, though not planned out at all. I got my ingredients quickly (I was anxious to start experimenting), then got going. I did the chocolate sauce first, since I knew it would stay warm in the stove. Then I turned on the oven and started the tuile batter. While pans were heating, I made the baslamic and agar mixture and put the oil in the fridge (this was a new way to make caviar that I really wanted to try). The chocolate went fast and tasted good, So I focused on the tuiles. When the batter was done, I put little drops of it onto a wax paper-lined baking tray and put them into the oven. While they cooked, I made some caviar by dropping the balsamic and agar mix into the now cold oil, and the reaction was instant balsamic pearls. So now two elements were done and I just needed the tuiles. I took them out of the oven and tried to peel them off and shape them, but since I was lacking a silicone baking mat they wouldn't come off. So I tried again since I had enough batter, but unfortunately it failed again. In the end, I had the tasty chocolate sauce topped with the balsamic pearls, and the two flavors complimented each other perfectly. Even though it wasn't what I wanted, I still ended up with a delicious snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment